Tranent Parish Church
The present Tranent Parish Church was built in 1799, on the site of an earlier church, granted in 1145. Some features of the previous building still remain, including the priestís door and the lower courses of pre-Reformation walling. There are also two buttresses and the ruined mortuary aisle of the Cadells of Cockenzie, which projects from the north wall and features a window, with circled heads, dating from the sixteenth century.
The Church was built by John Simpson, mason and has many distinguishing features, including round headed windows and battlements, and pyramidal corners on the upper floor. The interior was completely recast in 1953, when a stained glass venetian west window was added. The churchyard features a good collection of unusual monuments, including a Doocot dated 1587. Tranent Parish Church served as the parish church for Cockenzie and Port Seton up to 1839 when the Auld Kirk was built. However Cockenzie parishioners continued to be buried in Tranent kirkyard prior to Prestonpans cemetery becoming available to local people.